Saturday 9 November 2013

Predalien Predalien to the extreme

a) Although, various artists were having ideas about what an Alien that was born from a Predator should look like for some time before the Alien Vs Predator films were made, it wasn't until Alien Vs Predator Requiem that we managed to see near enough an adult one that was supposed to be a young queen. When the film makers of Alien Vs Predator Requiem was made, they coined the term Predalien for such a creature which as a term has stuck. The film makers wanted to pay homage to Texas Chainsaw Massacre with their effort, the jagged heads of the alien warriors were their chainsaw blades and the clicking noises of the Predalien was their slow chainsaw engine.

b) Once the images of the monsters from the movie had been released, already I was very dissatisfied with their alien monsters. So their Predalien was supposed to be a young Alien Queen which alien queen features on its head. The Predator mandibles of the creature resembled spanners either side of it's normal alien mouth.

c) What I did like was the idea that perhaps the aliens were the chainsaws. I wanted to slowly design my own Predalien, perhaps a far more basic one, I admit that I had been undecided about the way the head should look however I imagined it as a weaponised biomechanoid and developed an urge to turn its tail into a chainsaw that would rip through it's victims.



d) Over time I would imagine the dreadlock like tendrils of the creature becoming almost like the legs of a trilobite




e) The creatures body became more and more spikey



f) The large lower jaws mandibles of the creature sticking out with sledge runner like blade


g) But it's true that at the end of the day I am not entirely sure what I would the Predalien should look like and indeed I have kept on trying, but realising that beyond these urges to see something that must be the ultimate blend of Predator and Alien genes, we might want to see something that we really might not be so one hundred percent sure about what we saw and maybe would not actually comprehend for many years to come. I thought also about how the original alien had human jaw bones with human teeth extending from its ankles and I also wondered to some extent about the idea of the Predalien's dreadlocks being replaced by a row of lower mandibles. The ideas about extending parts and changing parts of this creature could go on forever and I liked perhaps the idea that the creature might continuously change slightly. I continue drawing these vague sketches without much thought being given to a final piece





study for a Predalien made from bits of Giger paintings

2 comments:

  1. I positively love these design concepts. Though i've always felt the dreadlocks should be interpreted as more of a crest to the head going back as either dual-connected pipes or as spikes that all point towards the back of the head, almost like a crown. I think that would also better compliment the spikey evolution of the Predator into an Alien. The quills the spiked teeth fangs in the mouth, etc...

    Would it be alright with you if I used these concept sketches for a project i'm working on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These doodles of mine have been stuck on the internet long enough so I suppose that ought to be fine. I'll assume that you have the ability to do something different enough or if there are similarities, you will be able to do something worthwhile with them.

    I still draw these Predaliens from time to time as well as variations on the regular alien, but I think that it's quite a battle to do anything of the slightest difference with it at all, especially since it's supposed to look a bit recognisably like an Alien and a bit like a Predator.

    Mine tend have these aggressive sledge runner like mandibles and when I draw these things, I'm not really that sure about how the head should be, but I just allow the form to come through in the drawing and several different versions come out. Some I am happy about more than others.

    I like Giger's biomechanics, and well I acknowledge that he wasn't much of a fan of the Predator head, but I still wonder what he might have done with such a design for a Predalien and perhaps what he could have done collaborating with Stan Winston on such as beast, and what he might have done to design an Alien Queen if he had been approached..

    The Superpredators from Predators had some signs of biomechanic style in their heads that interested me,

    But I seem to be perhaps interested in creating something that's a biomechanised bastardisation of Predator, perhaps in a similar way that the original alien was a sort of biomechanised bastardisation of the human form, and Giger did strange things such as have jaw bone with human teeth sticking out of the back of the ankle. Perhaps I like the idea that the alien's skull looks like nothing on earth in comparison to the shape of the human skull. It does seem that I have a problem with what to do about the dreadlocks. I like the idea of replacing them with rows of mandibles along the side of the head and it makes the head look a bit like a woodlouse or trilobite

    I like the idea of AVP:Requiem's attempt to connect with ideas from Texas Chainsaw Massacre even if I didn't think much of the film or its beasts, but I tend to want to give my beasts a chainsaw tail as a biomechanoid rather than something connected with Cameron's version of an alien species

    I do recall the very first published drawing of a Predator/Alien hybrid being in a fanzine, and the skull of the beast was heart shaped version of the normal alien beast, and perhaps that was quite imaginative at the time.

    ReplyDelete